Yesterday Librem announced in a blog post that the Android compatibility layer, Anbox, is runnable in the Librem 5 Linux phone. They reportedly had to fix a few bugs, and they show a screenshot of a listing of apps – it is odd to notice that most apps shown (Firefox, Music, Camera…) really should have a native Linux application that works.Continue reading “Librem announces Anbox working on Librem 5 phone”
Hacktoberfest is coming up, online this time (well, the core of hacktoberfest always has been online collaboration…), and there are several projects I’ve worked on that welcome contributions:
- Repeater-START – a useful tool for any ham radio enthusiast looking for repeaters.
- Hearham Listener – also connects to hearham.com, this is an experimental listener to listen for audible callsigns on the ham radio.
- Anti-Auto-correct, very useful for students in these remote times!
- iosTransferGUI – I had used this for transferring files to iDevices, on Ubuntu.
- Pylympus – for certain Olympus cameras with wifi-remote, a pure Python remote program.
There are many others and probably plugins or software you use every day that may need contributions or bug fixes, so with less than a month before the start, be thinking about what projects you might contribute to! Check out the full details at https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/events
Once in awhile a package hangs out at an old version even after a system upgrade or two. This can cause odd things like that software portion not working like it should. In my case, an old salbabix ios PPA that was long defunct as Ubuntu 18.04 and later have no problem just plugging in updated iOS devices.Continue reading “Removing old PPA from Ubuntu for stability and latest features”
Last month we heard Google was getting sued again for collecting location data tied to user accounts. This is yet another reason it’s good to keep your Google account separate, away from your Google device if you have one. But last week Google announced that they will be changing this, auto deleting data after 18 months… but only for new Google accounts.Continue reading “Google sued over Android’s tracking, revises options.”